- Review Vendor Software Entitlements
- Assess accurately whether the licenses under support match those in use and recommend changes to the purchase process to align with your organisation’s procurement and with the company strategy
- Assessment of the license usage will allow for license harvesting identification and a review of the lifecycle of software.
- Perform stakeholder interviews to assess manual reporting requirements and accuracy of environment data
- Deploy IBM BigFix & IBM License Metric Tool (ILMT), available On/Off Premise
- Engage agents on all Virtual Machines to ensure compliance
- ILMT allows for the optimization of sub capacity rules and reduction of PVU costs
- Regular updates performed by Recarta will ensure accuracy of licensing reports
Recarta will produce a quarterly report using IBM BigFix and IBM License Metric Tool which highlights changes to servers and ensures that the following are identified:
- Redundant SW Tags identified and removed before IBM audit scripts identify them;
- Provides compliance assurance and makes recommendations for change;
- Shows how quickly your infrastructure is growing and identifies potential risks;
- Identifies cloned agents and highlights requirement for IT department’s intervention.
- Highlight where cost savings can be made by assessing entitlement vs deployment;
- ILMT V9 provides reports and a dashboard which shows your organisation’s software usage and allocation;
- Allows for audit readiness with regular reporting on the organisation’s licensing framework;
- Shows any Vendor compliance team that regular maintenance is being undertaken by you;
- Keeps a record of steady compliance on a pre-audit basis.
Future proofing and consultation
By monitoring your license environment so closely, it allows for new licenses to be purchased in advance of any changes to the infrastructure, future-proofing your business.
- Reduce hardware cost by identifying over deployed hardware. For example you do not need an expensive CPU unit for a file-server system that you usually deploy for a transaction-processing system;
- IBM ILMT offering can provide a better priced purchase upon discovery that different departments within an organisation are purchasing the same software on different prices and terms. IBM ILMT Managed Service provides a better purchase strategy for your organisation;
- Help in controlling business risks, resulting in increased confidence of business in IT;
- Better inventory management due to accurate information about software estate;
- Optimize existing investments in licenses will help do more with available funds.
Legal and Financial Risk, Enterprises carry a risk if licensing terms for purchased software are not in compliance. The exposure for noncompliance may arise from enforcement via IBM subcontracted accountancy firms. The exposure includes the following:
- Software being installed without licenses being purchases
- Loss of proof of license for properly purchased software
- Complex terms and conditions, which may have been violated knowingly or unknowingly
- Contract terms with the reseller may have been met, but license terms with IBM were not.
- Damaged Reputation, Brand image and reputation are very precious to all businesses these days. A potential compliance charge could seriously affect an organisations reputation.