The IBM Storwize V3700 latest features including Easy Tier and SAS host attachment support, leave the market for the DS3512 & DS3524 in question. Having been a huge fan of IBM’s DS3524 and DS3512 since they were launched over 3 years ago, I am now drawn to the V3700 as the IBM entry/mid market SAN storage product of choice along with its big brother the V7000.
Developed in the UK at IBM Hursley Labs,
The Storwize V3700 builds on the huge success that the Storwize V7000 has seen in the last three years. The Storwize V3700 is another IBM Hursley developed product, based on the same SVC binary code that runs in the rest of the Storwize family.
With the latest announcements, I am able to offer customers an SSD / easy Tier option now or as a future option. Pricing is excellent, a recent proposal for a client to migrate from their now dated DS4700 to a V3700 Dual controller, 8Gb fibre attached model with 50 x 300GB 15k SAS drives and two additional 24 bay disk enclosures comes in under £25,000.00.
If you would like a quotation or want to know more about the V3700 or the Storwize family of products, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
The details of the latest IBM V3700 announcement are as follows:-
IBM Storwize V3700 now offers:
- Serial-attached SCSI (SAS) host attachment support to rack servers
- Turbo performance option
- Advanced functions, including Easy Tier® and remote mirroring
- New disk drive options, including 15,000 rpm and 10,000 rpm disk drive options for Storwize V3700 LFF enclosures
IBM V3700 now supports SAS host attachment, providing easy-to-use, affordable storage to address growing storage needs in IBM System x® and other selected rack server environments. Six 6Gb SAS host interface ports are standard on all Storwize V3700 systems, and additional SAS ports can be added into the system with the 6Gb SAS host interface card option. SAS host attachment support can also be enabled on previously shipped Storwize V3700 systems through the installation of a no-charge licensed machine code upgrade.
Storwize V3700 capabilities are expanded with the following optional licensed functions:
- Turbo performance: Increases the maximum I/O operations per second (IOPS) and throughput of a Storwize V3700 system
- FlashCopy® upgrade: Increases the quantity of supported FlashCopy targets to 2,040 per system
- IBM System Storage® Easy Tier : Provides automatic migration of frequently accessed data from disk drives to high performing solid state drives (SSDs)
- Remote mirroring: Supports data replication between systems at different locations through Metro Mirror and Global Mirror functions
To help evaluate the benefits of these new capabilities, selected licensed functions can be enabled at no charge for a 90 day trial period. Trials are initiated from the Storwize management GUI and do not require any IBM intervention.
Additionally, Storwize V3700 offers the following new disk drive options:
- 900 GB 10,000 rpm and 1.2 TB 10,000 rpm 6Gb SAS 3.5-inch disk drives
- 300 GB 15,000 rpm 6Gb SAS 3.5-inch disk drive
- 1.2 TB 10,000 rpm 6Gb SAS 2.5-inch disk drive