Power System S812 server – Announced by IBM
On the 14th February – IBM announced a new low end IBM i server – designed specifically for dedicated small workloads – something many clients and ISV’s have been requesting for years!
The IBM Power System S812 server is a powerful 1-socket server that ships with one or four activated cores and I/O configuration flexibility to meet smaller clients processing needs.
The Power System S812 server brings robust and solid business transaction processing with proven infrastructure for AIX and IBM i operating system environments. The S812 is a 1-socket, 2U system designed as an entry point for non-compute intense workloads that require high reliability and stability.
This 1-socket system can be ordered with one core for IBM i (up to 25 users) and up to four cores for AIX.
The S812 provides the benefits of great performance per core and per socket, utilizing the POWER8 processor. It also provides resilient I/O capabilities, internal storage, and hot-plug PCI capabilities, along with greater reliability, availability, and serviceability.
The Power System S812 supports one processor socket, offering 1-core with IBM i or 4-core with AIX 3.026 GHz POWER8 configurations in a 19-inch rack-mount, 2U (EIA units) drawer configuration.
The Power S812 server supports a maximum of 64 GB DDR4 memory for IBM i workloads and a maximum of 128 GB DDR4 memory for AIX workloads. Memory features supported are 16 GB and 32 GB and run at speeds of 1600 Mbps.
I/O and system attributes in the system unit include:
- Six PCIe Gen3 Low Profile (LP) Slots (all hot pluggable)
- CAPI capable on two PCIe x16 slots (AIX)
- Twelve or eight 2.5-in. SAS SFF-3 bays for HDD or SSD (all hot pluggable)
- Eight bays available for IBM i
- Eight or twelve bays for AIX, depending on backplane
- Multiple RAID options supported
- One DVD
- Two front USB 3.0 and two rear USB 2.0 ports
- One system port (rear)
- Service processor
- 1+1 Redundant hot-swap AC power supplies
- 19-inch rack-mount 2U configuration
- AIX 6.1, 7.1, 7.2, or later, operating system support
- IBM i 7.3 TR2, 7.2 TR6, or later, operating system support with a maximum of 25 IBM i user entitlements