IBM have just announced the end of support for both IBM DataPower Gateway and IBM DataPower Gateway Virtual Edition v7.1/7.2. We highly recommend that you migrate to v7.6 if you are not already at this version.
IBM DataPower Gateway v7.6 provides:
- Capability to run multiple tenants for runtime isolation and upgrade flexibility within a DataPower physical appliance to provide isolation of API Connect and traditional DataPower workloads. This enables flexible upgrades without business disruption. This provides the ability to run multiple instances of traditional DataPower workloads for runtime isolation and enhanced operational resiliency.
- Ability to easily scale DataPower Gateway Docker instances with orchestration platforms, such as Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, and Apache Mesos during peak traffic periods.
- New flexible permissions when running DataPower Gateway Docker instances for increased DevOps automation and provisioning on public cloud platforms.
- Ability to run DataPower Gateway Docker instances on container services, such as IBM Bluemix, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud, and Microsoft Azure to help optimize infrastructure costs. This enables seamless extension between cloud and on-premise environments.
- Enhanced open standard for authorization (OAuth) security to provide flexible configuration of access token for protecting access to mission-critical API resources with additional protection.
- New caching enhancements to DataPower Gateway local cache that provide flexibility to export, import, and manage records in a document cache in advance to help decrease application response times.
- New tools to help easily migrate configuration and crypto material from WebSphere DataPower XG45 or WebSphere DataPower XI52 virtual appliances to DataPower Gateway virtual appliances to take advantage of the DataPower Gateway virtual appliance platform.
- Long-term support (LTS) release for DataPower Gateway firmware v7.6 to provide upgrade flexibility with longer support cycle to minimize disruption to existing business systems.
- Gain insights into your DataPower usage through IBM Cloud Product Insights.
- Dynamic threat protection settings help protect against malicious messages.
- Conditionally controlled execution of multi-step flows by using GatewayScript to enable real-time enrichment of messages.
Options after 30/09/2018
Options available to clients running IBM DataPower Gateway/DataPower Gateway Virtual Edition v7.1/7.2 are as follows:
- Upgrade to v7.6 to ensure continuity of support/subscriptions and reduction of potential security risks.
- Remain at the current version but no longer be entitled to support (providing you continue to renew your annual subscriptions you will still have the option to upgrade to v7.6 when you are ready to do so – but no support will be provided at v7.1/7.2.
- If you remain at v7.1/7.2 after the 30/09/2018 and you still require support, then you will need to purchase a Service Extension for the version which you are running – this will provide you with ongoing support in the event of a software failure for a period of up to 2 years.
If you are running v7.1/7.2 and you need any help with either a Service Extension or help with migrating to the latest version of IBM DataPower Gateway please do not hesitate to contact me.
Speak to Recarta today about a Service Extension to keep your business protected or for help with migrating to the latest version of IBM DataPower Gateway ensuring your business remains up to date with all security patches/updates, therefore preventing any potential exposure to your business.